Friday, October 15, 2010

Fujifilm Finepix X100

The camera that caught my attention during the recent Photokina product announcements was the Fujifilm Finepix X100.

Everytime I use my Pentax K100D for street photography, I find it difficult to stay discreet, which is one of the key conditions required for producing quality candid shots.

With so many developments on the mirrorless interchangeable lens-format front, I was looking intently at the Panasonic GF1 and the Samsung NX100 (also announced at Photokina).

But the Fujifilm X100 showed that there was still space for a new category in digital photography. Granted, Sigma already had a line of APS-C fixed focal length cameras, but reviews of the DP1 & DP2 weren't encouraging.

Also, the X100 had an extra trick up its sleeve, which was a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder.

One of the minus points that held me back from buying a micro Four-Thirds camera was the lack of a optical viewfinder.

Now, I can only hope that the X100 isn't too expensive. Of course, I would still need to check its quality. Last but not least, I hope it will be available in an all-black paintjob (not a fan of the silver/black retro look).

No comments: